In 1996, Athletes of Good News developed a unique award program that recognizes and rewards Christian athletes. More than 36,000 Christian athletes have been touched by the SportQuest all-American program. Thousands of dollars in scholarships have been awarded and Christian athletes have received prestigious recognition on a national level through TV, newspaper and magazine coverage.
A SportQuest all-American packet is mailed in the fall of each school year to the guidance department in 20,000 public and private high schools in all 50 states. Guidance counselors are encouraged to consult with school coaches and faculty in order to select the top three male and top three female Christian athletes from each of their sophomore, junior and senior classes. Once the athletes have been selected, the guidance counselor or coach will provide each athlete with a SportQuest all-American nomination ticket. Each school receives only six tickets per class. Each ticket briefly explains program details, such as benefits, time table of events and how to apply.
The school does not need to complete forms or paperwork. The process is quick and easy.
- Select the top three male and top three female Christian athletes from each of the sophomore, junior and senior classes.
- Give one ticket to each of the selected athletes.
- Assist each athlete, if necessary, with his or her online application before the November 4th, 2005 deadline. The online application process is quick and easy and should only take 7-10 minutes to complete.
Once an athlete receives a SportQuest all-American ticket, he or she must complete the online application by November 4th, 2005. The online application process is quick and easy and should only take 7-10 minutes to complete. Each application will be reviewed by a selection committee and athletes will be placed into one of four categories:
1. 1st Team SportQuest all-American
2. 2nd Team SportQuest all-American
3. SportQuest all-American Honorable Mention
4. SportQuest all-American Nominee
Each athlete who submits his or her online application will fall into one of the four above mentioned categories and will receive all the benefits listed in the benefitssection.
In December, scholarship finalists will be notified of their status and additional information will be requested (references, transcript, and essay questions). Each finalist must submit their required information by February 3rd, 2005. In March, scholarship winners will be selected and announced.